Clay/Puppet animation is a very powerful and charming form of animation.
What are the similarities of clay and puppet animation?
- freestanding and able to support their own weight
- they have movable joints that can hold any position
- they are well executed with remarkable detail
- they can be viewed from 360 degrees
- they use the stop-motion technique
Clay Animation – focuses on metamorphosis, pliability, texture, shape and weight
Clay Animation Process
Clay Animation Examples:
Puppet Animation – begins with an armature an inner construction which allows the puppet to be both sturdy and flexible
1. Armatures – is the basic skeleton of the figure that is built for support to allow you to move your character in small increments for animation.
2. Clay – there are many different kinds of clays that are used in clay/puppet animation.
- oil-based clay
- sculpey premo
- baked clay
3. Molds – are used for a more durable figure
4. Wooden Puppets
Jiri Trnka – Ruka
5. Mixed Media Puppets
6. Found Objects
The Brothers Quay Interview
7. Latex Puppets
More Examples of Clay Puppet Animation:
Tim Burton – Corpse Bride